Tuesday 9 July 2019

Phlox in Watercolour : Atmospheric Flowers in Watercolour

 Two paintings of Phlox in Watercolour on my easel
One complete, another as a work in progress 

This time last year my book " Atmospheric Flowers in Watercolour" was launched and I loved being at Patchings Art Festival to sign books and demonstrate my techniques. It was fantastic.

This year I am sitting in my garden again painting florals and loving each plant as it comes into flower. In my flower book there is a chapter on how to paint white subjects and complex shapes. The phlox flowers were perfect for this demonstration as they met both challenges as a subject.

I worked the background around negative edges first using colours that to me helped make the white spaces sing.

I then began to paint around the edges of several of the focal point blooms and left some half finished for viewers imagination, of my finished piece, to complete.

Finally I always add fine detail.

The paintings on my easel as seen above show the finished phlox painting from my book. The other painting is a new work in progress and I am experimenting with it. I have used various products on this piece which I hope to share in a future demonstration. In fact I will be sharing far more very soon I am happy to say but for now as they say " Watch this space"  Exciting news is coming!


Below you can see a photograph of the white phlox flowers that are blooming in my garden this year.

The seasons teach us so much. We need to enjoy each one before it is over. And all that each gives to us.


Phlox flowering in my garden


******************

Artists Tip

Maybe you have painted a subject a year ago and you were really pleased with the result. I painted phlox a year ago and felt this way.

Try taking a familiar subject that you know you can paint and attempt to create a new composition with either similar shades or new ones but try to improve on the art you created the year before. 

Take the good parts of your previous painting and carry them into your new work and try to dismiss any elements that you didn't like in your previous work.

Become your own teacher.

It really works! 
Having said that aim to see the good points of your paintings.

Try not to be overly critical! 

( Lets' face it. We are all far too good at that already!) 

**************

No comments: