Saturday 16 March 2013

Colour : Daniel Smith Watercolours

Foxgloves worked with a combination of watercolours

I know everyone is fascinated with the watercolour shades I use and always feel it unfair not to mention which products I am using when sharing my paintings online.

I had no idea what I would be starting when I began painting foxgloves. They have now become one of my favourite and best selling floral subjects. Since childhood I have always been  amazed at their regal beauty,standing tall in the woodlands where I grew up. As you walk past them, some seem to disappear into the shadows whilst others are caught in bright sunlight as in the painting I am currently working on.  

There was a beautiful painting of foxgloves similar to this one in my latest book "Atmospheric Watercolours" which sold in one of my last years exhibitions. I always meant to paint a piece like it for my own cottage and today as it was raining, I  felt the need to  create something magical with a cheerful feel about it. And this is what happened.


The foreground is  created with a gorgeous Daniel Smith shade. "

Daniel Smith
Extra Fine Watercolours
Perylene Green

It is a very strong vibrant green that seems to add drama to any composition.Definitely one to add to your wish list of colours to try!

No comments: