Monday 11 July 2011

Copyright Issue Update.


Bearded Collies Appearing from a Wash in Watercolour

I have to give credit where credit is due. This afternoon I have finally heard from the artist  who had shown copies of my work online and for sale. They sent an apology and immediately removed  paintings that were alike to mine from their web site. In return I have sent them a reply thanking them for their words and action.

I have had time to reflect on the whole process. From first seeing the copies of my work online to the action I finally decided to take. And the positive result. Many of us may walk away when we see our own work copied and yet we feel anger for a friend if we see their paintings abused.  In this situation several artists had contacted me. To the point I knew I had to act.  I was being asked for advise on what to do when this happens. I could not respond with "forget it".  I would have been letting others down who follow my lead.

As artists we have to  face facts. Not everyone is honest or going to own up to copying. Not everyone is going to take action by removing the offending art.  Most definitely, not everyone will consider sending an apology.  And there will always be cases when artists didn't realise they were causing offence by sharing what wasn't their own creation.

We are not all perfect and we do all make mistakes. Which is why we need to be forgiving when we need to be. And both compassionate and understanding. We should save emotions of anger for those who do not communicate,act respectfully or pass the credit to those who truly deserve it.

Todays message has renewed my faith in the art world. A gracious reply letting me know the copied paintings would be removed immediately  came. The paintings have indeed been removed. And all this took place with  kindly worded communication.

This chain of events could have been very different. It could have been stressful and very upsetting  for everyone involved. But no. Two artists communicated.

Yes , a judgement in error was made on what is, and what is not copying. And what should or should not be for sale. But I certainly am not going to hold any grudges. In fact, quite the opposite because this is the very first time I have met someone who cares enough and has the guts to admit they made a mistake. And who cares enough to take action.

I wish more artists could behave as graciously as this one has. I know one or two who could really learn a lesson from following their lead. And be far better people for having done so.

In fact,when my next book is out I will be sending the artist concerned a signed copy.

Why? 

Because they really have shown me a good side to the art world. One that I had lost a little faith in.
So to them I am going to say........
Thank you. 

Thank you for your apology, action and honesty in admitting you  made a mistake.

********************
.




8 comments:

corinne60 said...

respect MADAME!
tant de bonté est une belle leçon de vie!
je n'ai qu'un regret:je ne trouve pas vos livres en France.............
belle journée à vous!
et je vais essayer de "relever le défi".................
amicalement
Corinne60

corinne60 said...

respect Madame pour votre attitude remarquable!quelle belle leçon de vie!
j'admire votre travail et je n'ai que deux regrets:j'habite trop loin pour suivre un de vos ateliers et je ne trouve pas vos livres en France.........
Je vais essayer de relever "le défi"!
Belle journée à vous!
Amicalement.
Corinne

Jo said...

Sounds like a perfect resolution Jean! A firm positive attitude by you to the other artist resolved this quickly, and on decent terms. You set an example for everyone!

Jo said...

Sounds like you resolved this positively! A positive attitude by you Jean, set an example for all of us. Thank you.

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Your style is so spontaneous, and free... it must have been really difficult to copy it. Your kind and cheerful personality helped bring this to a positive resolution, where someone more abrasive may not have had the same result. I admire you now as a person as well as a talented artist. Well done dear lady.

Jean Haines SWA, SFP said...

Merci beaucoup,Corinne:)

J'ai mettez un link pour mon livre en Amazon.com pour toi!

Amicalement,

Jean:)

Jean Haines SWA, SFP said...

Hello Jo,

Thank you so much for leaving a comment here. Yes,this was solved amicably because the artist was very easy to talk to and understanding of the issue.

Not all artists are sadly,instead making what is an existing difficult situation far worse by their actions.




Jean.

Jean Haines SWA, SFP said...

Hello Elaine,

Thank you so much for such a lovely reply.Life I believe is far too short to waste on bad feelings or negative energy.

My view is that kindness should always be the way to deal with a problem. If it isn't possible then I need to walk away because I just don't have room in my life for any other emotion or feeling:)That is my way of constantly staying happy and making others around me happy at the same time.

It's so lovely to meet you here and thanbk you again so much for your reply,

Jean.