Sunday 11 November 2012

Remembrance Sunday : Poppies

Remembrance Poppies

Today is Remembrance Sunday. I respected the two minute silence at 11.00  this morning, in respect for those who gave their lives for their countries. I thought  of all the parents who have lost their sons knowing mine are safe. Watching the service was emotional on so many levels especially witnessing servicemen  remembering their comrades on this day of all days and honouring ultimate sacrifice they made.

As a child, my father talked often of the war, his father also shared memories and as a young teenager I couldn't see any value in looking back at yesteryear or living in the past. I was so tired, then of all the war movies and stories of heros who fought for their country. But I am an adult now and my  feelings have changed. Now I admire everyone who serves their country, in the hope that one day there will be peace.

If only the world could unite through learning from the past and move towards a future where their would be no fighting, no greed or thirst for power. Just compassion and understanding of our fellow man.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them." 


***************

 Copying: I have received several emails  letting me know my "Remembrance Poppies" watercolour has been copied and  is even for sale online since I first posted it. Can I ask that all proceeds from the copy if it is sold goes DIRECTLY to the British Legion..


No comments: