Friday 15 November 2013

Mexico 2013 Watercolour Tour

Annas Cat
Mexico Demonstration 2013

Mexico 2013
Watercolour Workshop

I completed my 2013 USA and Mexico tour this week with my final workshop taking place in Mexico City. I had agreed to visit after accepting an invitation last year. I honestly hadn't known what to expect and I had concerns at the class possibly not being able to understand my English. But with Claudia the organiser translating everything I said all went  very well. So well because everyone enjoyed my sessions so much that I have been eagerly invited to return and as soon as possible!

I always  give an introduction to my style on the first day of my workshops and this is followed by many demonstrations. The beauty of my technique is that I paint every subject with no restrictions. I get excited about colour and how it interacts to form patterns which in turn  create a painting.  I loved all the photographs everyone had brought with them to show me. I explain I prefer to work from life as much as possible but there are certain favourites that obviously you cannot bring to a class and even if you did would not sit still! Such as "Anna" the beautiful kitten owned by Kristina , one of the artists on the class.  Kristina was aiming to make her kitten appear out of a first wash she had created in my workshop. Her colours did not work well as a background which is vital to a successful outcome. I demonstrated how to paint a cats eye and work away from it to make the face appear, doing so without drawing attention away from the beautiful large kitten eye. I loved this demonstration so much and so did Kristina who now owns the completed painting.

My time teaching in Mexico passed far too quickly and as I handed out diplomas to each artist at the close of the final day I was given immensely warm hugs from everyone attending and yet again, I was eagerly invited to return.

This is a country of great hospitality, great warmth and incredible talent. I met artists of all levels and my heart has been touched more than once. I loved it here and to everyone who made this a hugely successful week I thank you with all my heart.

And to Claudia, a very special thank you for your insight and enthusiasm making this magical event occur.

***************

My next workshop destination will be Italy although that course is fully booked. As are my UK 2014 workshops. I will be releasing details of my Australia 2013 tour shortly and I am currently working on the last details of my USA 2015 tour.

*******************

This has been a truly exciting year and I have much to share on my blog over the next few weeks when I return to UK. Watch this space!

No comments: