Friday 22 May 2015

Getting Stronger

 Wisteria Hue
Bold, dramatic and exciting colour

I have been reading my new book. There are particular words that are really having an effect on me, as if I wasn't the original author. I know each time I pick up my brush I grow as an artist. And I still learn far more from things that don't go right than the things that do when I am experimenting. But the joy in creating for me has always been a sense of adventure. Rather than accepting one way is the only way to paint.  And its' been a week full of so much happening that at times its' been very hard to keep my feet on the ground.

Why? 

Well, 1) I had a fantastic meeting with my publisher that had me floating on air but that news is for another blog post.

 2)  Because I have had so many wonderfully touching emails and messages letting me know how much my new book " Jean Haines World of Watercolour"  is being enjoyed. And one message made me stop and take time to see how the sender had interpreted one of the chapters as it had become so personal to their own art journey. In a truly positive way to overcome obstacles.

So, to anyone who is reading my blog today and dealing with situations that could pull you down can I share this part of my own journey.  There was a time when I shared online on a large art site. A forum.  I was new to sharing on social media and hardly "worldly wise" of being online. At first everything was really exciting. I felt I was meeting new friends from all over the world. I loved it.  I think being in a circle of others who loved painting as much as I did was so magical. But after a while something quite ugly started to happen. In short, I was being bullied online to the point that I left the site. The bullying continued and I was harassed by emails from the same group of people. This week , and completely out of the blue, I received an email from someone from that time who wanted to wish me well and they meant their message so kindly. But the reminder made me sit and look at how far I have come as a person as much as an artist.

If I had let those who were enjoying their game of simply ruining anothers' life get to me I wouldn't be where I am now. I wouldn't have written my first book. I wouldn't be holding my now very popular workshops. And I wouldn't be meeting wonderful people from all over the world when I travel.

I had forgotten all about this time. Until I read the email about it this week. And it arrived as another artist was asking for my advise on how to deal with others being unkind to them online. Isn't it sad that some people feel it is acceptable to be unkind, run others down or  even go out of their way to find a way of hurting someone? All behind the safety of a computer screen and in some cases an anonymous name. The  artist asking for advise is understandably upset, hurt and even worse. They are faltering in their career which is terrible as they are so talented.

I think in life we all need courage at times. We definitely need to like ourselves. Which isn't always easy. And we need to realise we cannot please everyone. But if we are kind and true to ourselves I believe that shines from within us. And a positive attitude improves our own lives. We sadly also need to understand that there are those who simply cannot be happy unless they are hurting someone else. But giving air to these kind of " trolls" takes away from our own energy. 

How did I cope when I was bullied? I threw myself into my art to be honest. I loved painting so much that I carried on in my own way and I was lucky in that I was spotted by my publishers and other wonderful contacts who have supported me over the years. And everyone I have met has commented on my generosity, warmth and willingness to share. I just want everyone I know to be happy. And I feel sad for those who can't live this way because it is wonderful.

So, if you are having doubts on your own ability to paint or if you are facing a problem. Know that you have the strength and ability to overcome obstacles. Especially if it is something that is happening to you by unkindness of others. Shine in your own way and make everyone around you feel like you would like them to make you feel.

Ignore negativity. Walk away from anyone or anything that pulls you down and aim to love life to the full.

Bullies actually helped me get where I am today. So as strange as it may sound, I am really grateful to them. But I do know it is the most horrid feeling dealing with unkindness. 

And so back to painting. Yes I am still addicted to painting Wisteria but I have new watercolour shades I have been given. And I am putting them through their paces. I am delving into a new way of experimenting with products. Depth, drama, impact, bold colour placement are fabulous buzz words. And oh boy I am feeling on top of the world!  I would love everyone I know to feel as happy as I am when I hold my brush. It is such a freeing feeling.  Until the Wisteria has finished blooming in my garden I feel this addiction to painting it is going to push me into a whole new chapter of my own art life.

Artists Tip: Have fun painting, stay positive and be you! 
 Lets' face it. You are an original and well worth being appreciated just as you are!



 Wisteria on my easel
I am loving working on this series of experiments with colour. It has been a dream of a painting week and there has to be another to follow!



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Your addiction to wisteria painting is beautiful! I hope you have time for at least one more before the blooms fade.
Your article on bullying is excellent. There are always going to be people pulling themselves up by putting others down. I'm glad something good (throwing yourself into your painting) came out of it.
Beautiful flowing work!

isabella kramer - veredit said...

I read your blog since years, but today you deeply touch me and so I would say, thank you so much for this post. I experience a very similar situation at the moment. Of course, I'm not so talented, yet as famous as you. But this negative experience threatened my joy of painting.But your post gave me hope and shows me a good way for me. I'm very grateful!

So I'll take my new "World of Watercolor" and keep my joy of painting and learn and learn. Because that is what I want.

I send you warm hugs and my very best wishes,
isabella

Robyn said...

Very wise words, and I'm loving these wisteria paintings! Makes me want to use richer colours too, funny how work can be wishy-washy if you're not brave. I went to your weekend workshop at the infamous Frogs Hollow near Killarney Qld and now appreciate your blog even more, after meeting you and seeing how you work. So this is a belated 'thanks' for a lovely weekend...well, except for the food...,
Robyn

Robyn said...

Very wise words, and I'm loving these wisteria paintings! Makes me want to use richer colours too, funny how work can be wishy-washy if you're not brave. I went to your weekend workshop at the infamous Frogs Hollow near Killarney Qld and now appreciate your blog even more, after meeting you and seeing how you work. So this is a belated 'thanks' for a lovely weekend...well, except for the food...,
Robyn