Saturday 28 July 2018

How can I keep from singing : Portrait

"Ol' Grandpa"
Portrait created minus a prelimnary sketch, with colour alone bringing the subject to life.


If my ride on earth ended at this moment , not that it will, I couldn't be more happier.  I am so incredibly blessed and I am loving my art journey in particular. So much is happening that I have to shake myself  regularly to understand this isn't all a dream. I gave an interview recently where I explained how I started out as a professional artist and I was told I should write a book about my life. It isn't going to happen. I haven't time. But from a child brought up by grandparents to who I am now my story has been one of ups and downs, like many other peoples. From feeling unwanted to knowing I am loved. And perhaps out of all the many good things in my life being loved is at the top of the list for me. Because without love there is no point in life.

But back to my art. This week saw me judging an art competition with the Artist Magazine in UK, and then sending prizes out to the five lucky winners who each receive a signed copy of my latest book along with gorgeous watercolour sets of my favourite colours by Daniel Smith.

I've also prepared and wrapped paintings for two exhibitions. One collection has already been couriered to its destination. Another needs wrapping.  And I have of course worked in my studio. I painted the above portrait of a character I met in New Orleans. I saw him while I was teaching workshops there. This fantastic gentleman was sat by the side of the street singing with such an amazing voice. We stopped and listened for a while and I took several photos. We also bought his CD which we play constantly. You can see the step by steps of this particular portrait on my "Jean Haines Watercolours" facebook page.

This singer is blind but it does not stop him loving life. His smile is contagious. While painting him I couldn't help but think how lucky I am to have the gift of sight. I really couldn't help but sing as I painted him. When I finished my last brush work I remembered one of my favourite songs. "How can I keep from singing" . Part of the lyrics are below and seem to go with my post.

"I lift my eyes the cloud grows dim
I see the blue above it
And day by day this pathway smoothes
Since I first grew to love it"

We all go through hiccups in life and I will admit my health has been really scary this year but now I I am on the winning side of things and I definitely feel much better thank heavens. 

Painting is a great healer, and it has helped me over the last few months to sit still, rest and simply enjoy the beauty in life.

We all need time to rest and recharge our batteries.

This was my time. But guess what? And I am now raring to go again!

In fact I am so happy

How can I keep from singing!


********************

1 comment:

Peace Thyme said...

When I was in my twenties, I used to sing for my supper. From then until now I sing for myself. When I am happy, when I am sad, when I hurt, when walking in the woods.

That is a beautiful portrait, my friend.