Wednesday 22 May 2019

Racing Colours : Jean Haines Daniel Smith Watercolour Sets

 "Racing Ahead"
Aussie Red Gold takes the lead 

I am currently working on a gallery collection and I am delighted to share the news that this year my own Daniel Smith Watercolour Sets will be launched and they include my favourite dynamic colours. In fact, shades that I cannot live without. 

I will be sharing more news about my sets soon but for now my favourite colours are acting as silks on jockeys in my latest horse racing paintings.

Everyone knows I adore Aussie Red Gold from the Daniel Smith Watercolour Range so it is no surprise to many that it should be my choice for the the winning jockeys silk however Lunar Blue quickly came into play as not only the dramatic background colour choice but it became the silk of the jockey that may just take the new lead position. It is so hard for me to choose a favourite colour as I love them all !



 Lunar Blue coming into the lead

My Daniel Smith master set colours can interact with each other, give glorious effects when used and they are beautiful for adding punch and drama to any painting. The word boring is not in my vocabulary in life or whilst painting, so I only opt for the most exciting choices when it comes to selecting a product range. And I have been invited many times in the past to have watercolour sets in my own name. Until now I have always refused. But the quality of , the incredible colours, and the excitement I feel when working with, Daniel Smith shades is outstanding. To be invited to have my own sets created by a manufacturer that to me is the best in the world is a dream come true. I leapt at the opportunity and I am hoping these sets will help other artists see how exciting working with this range can be,.



 The first wash stage of my horse racing painting.With my set colours lined up against the appropriate jockeys silks.


Below you can see the painting so far. It is building up well and I am taking my time as I really love this piece. The horses look almost 3D in places and the depth of the background pushes each rider forward  creating a sense of movement which is much needed in any action composition.


Racing Colours Work in Progress so far.


Artist Tip.

When I am teaching I come across so many artists who race to finish a painting in one go. Sadly they often miss the beauty of what the painting itself is screaming to the artist to add in the way of brushwork or colour additions as the painting evolves during its creative journey.

I find if I work on an action piece like the above, taking my time adding dots of colour or single brush marks  gradually rather than in one sitting the painting is often far better. Not only that I then don't risk over working. I also avoid making the mistakes that are often easy painting  traps to fall into when rushing a painting.

So try painting something over a course of three days, each day looking at each stage in progress taking your time to consider what is needed to be added next.

You may find you learn so much  in the process and become a far better artist!

Have fun creating.

*******************

 

1 comment:

Glenn W Davis said...

Regarding your latest art tip; I teach watercolor here in Boston. I've found some students have the same tendency to finish in one go. I show them the wisdom of patience & layering with my demonstrations during class. I have convinced some of them.