Tuesday 10 July 2012

Busy Week!


Foxgloves appearing from colourful washes using clingfilm to form the leaves at the base of the painting

It seems ages since I added to my blog.  In fact I haven't had much free time since my return from London where I demonstrated at the fabulous Mall Galleries during the SWA,Society for Women Artists' Annual Exhibition. I hope to write about my demonstration on a seperate post as it was such a great day. Thank you so much to everyone who came to meet me especially the two ladies who came over from Ireland and Belgium. I so wish I had more time on the day to spend with you as I thought you were wonderful!

It is strange how my life is changing and how my views on being an artist are too. This incredible journey that we start out on when we pick up our brushes leads us to so many interesting destinations and to meeting new friends from all over the world.

I have been touched by so many emails and comments on my new book and art. I now start my day by replying to messages from all over the world and today I recieved my very first from Mexico.  We live in a time when we can connect via the internet and it is such a privilege to be able to do so.

My book is continuing to sell well and I have signed so many copies over the last few weeks and I keep recieving new invitations to further events which is wonderful.

The only negative comment I have recieved so far has been from someone who completely misinterpreted my chapters including salt and clingfilm. The use of which has been around for such a long time so they are not my invention and have never been claimed as such. However what has fascinated viewers of my demonstrations is my own interpretation of  their placement to gain flow and directional texture effects. I also build up subjects with textural layers as witnessed in my carnation painting demonstrations. This creates realistic patterns appropriate to each subject.

Since writing my book I have discovered yet another new way to apply salt which I hope to share soon. I honestly believe if we share our excitement in what works for us we further the joy in moving our brushes which of course is the sole aim of my writing. To encourage everyone to feel as passionate about watercolour as I do.

And to the excited architect who has experimented with my "Venetian" technique to paint buildings in landscapes. How lovely to hear I have changed your life forever and long may your successful run of sales continue! You are welcome, and thank you so much for letting me know how well you are using the technique from my new book. I am absolutely thrilled!

Painting and sharing ideas for me has never been about my own success. But more importantly it is about the success achieved by others.

So to close,Christine, congratulations on gaining your first sale in an exhibition, winning your first prize and getting into a gallery. But remember one thing.

This all happened because of YOUR talent!

Not my input,workshops or book.

I am over the moon for you.

Happy painting!

Jean

****************************


2 comments:

Emilia said...

Your passion is amazing. It is so inspiring!!! I love your first book and I have your second DVD. I can't wait to receive your 2nd book from Amazon. I tried one of your techniques from the DVD and I made a mess so, that was a good lesson, you are right, paint for the bin and practice practice practice!!!!

Thank you for your continuous inspiration!

Emilia
(born and grew up in Rome, now living in Finland)

Jean Haines SWA, SFP said...

Hello Emilia,thank you so much for such a wonderful reply and thank you for liking my work.

How wonderful to have lived in Rome and now how gorgeous Finland must be,lucky you! I am sure you are surrounded by amazing sights to paint.

I still grab scraps of paper and experiment intending to paint for the bin when I have new ideas and it really does help. So does that practise so good luck and please stay in touch,

Happy painting

Jean