Thursday 25 June 2015

The Artist Magazine : July Issue 2015

Extract from my new book in the July 2015 issue of the Artist Magazine

I am thrilled with the feature including an extract from my new book " Jean Haines World of Watercolour" that is included in the July 2015 issue of The Artist magazine.

This particular chapter is one of my favourites. It looks at portraits that I have painted in the past and with demonstrations shows how I learn from my own work to grow as an artist. I believe we are so keen to listen to what others have to say about our work, especially in our early years of painting. But quite often our best teacher can be ourselves. And I explain further in this section of my new book how to grow from what we paint in the past and draw from that to improve in our future as an artist.

I found writing this section really useful. And reading the extract again today hit me how much I have learnt over the years and am still learning. The chapter carries very happy memories for me of my time living in France and Dubai.  Sharing personal experiences seems quite out of character for someone who once upon a time was incredibly shy.

Oh how I have changed and not just with my art!

Do buy a copy of the Artist magazine if you can. It is absolutely bursting with glorious features from leading artists in all styles and mediums that makes you want to race for your brushes and get painting.

In fact that is exactly what I am going to do !

**************

Thank you to The Artist Magazine for including an extract of my book in this fabulous issue of a leading art magazine that inspires so many artists in their art journeys. Artists of all levels.

Thank you.


********************

If you are interested , you can purchase a copy of my new book from Amazon.com via this link







1 comment:

Lisa J Aikin said...

Congrats on your article! I've started experimenting with D Smith water colors also, and love the bold colors and saturation I get with the few 5ml tubes I've tried... Would you be so kind as to share what colors you use from them right now? I know you're more likely to use the quinacradones in florals, etc but noticed when you did your book signing in England that the company provided a small sample dot chart with each book... If those are the only colors you use, maybe you could list those? I have two of your books now, with plans to purchase the third and think they're brilliant, and can really see the difference the D Smith paints have brought to some of your images... That's what I'm striving for, and there are NO books on the market, listing their colors in a palette. If you could help me get off to a nice start, even if your list is 35 colors long? I'd be very grateful. I'm an amateur now but hope to develop my skill and make it a lifelong passion, and whether I turn pro or not isn't the point... I need great materials to have a good base to start with!
I admire your work so very much; maybe one day I'll be able to take one of your workshops somewhere, too?
With warm regards, Lisa Aikin, Surprise, AZ, USA