Tuesday 29 March 2011

Watercolours With Emotion

Buster coming to life in watercolour

I paint from life as often as possible which often sees half finished paintings of animals evolving like the one of Buster above. Looking at how light plays on colouring, his pose, the texture and softness of his fur has taught me so much about painting cats.

Instead of racing to complete a painting I have taken time to enjoy every brushstroke and consider how it could be improved. Whilst painting sleeping cats has become a pastime capturing beautiful eyes has become more of a passion.

My model Buster has given me six years of lessons in how to paint cats and for that and his affection I am so very grateful. Sadly yesterday we learned our fluffy monster of a cat has Cancer. The prognosis is only two months to a year to live.The vet has been so kind  as they are aware we lost our elderly dog Taffy before Christmas of last year so they wanted to do everything they could to help but there is no treatment.Nothing can be done to help my four legged teddy bear of a cat.

I have cried and my spirit has dropped because the joy I feel  being with this companion who sneaks behind my table easel to sleep daily is precious. He snores peculiarly through one side of his nose only so when I hear a squeaking noise I become aware he is in the room.

Knowing me I will find a way to paint my emotions into a new piece and  also try to help the Cancer Research Fund. For now my studio is quiet with the news we will be losing a four legged companion,friend,model and loved pet so very unexpectedly.

6 comments:

Julia Ruffles | wildlife artist said...

A difficult time, remember that with every magical brushstroke his sparkle shines brighter, Jules

bazza said...

Hello Jean. I admire your watercolour style and love this view of your cat. I'm sorry to hear that he is ill. My daughter's 13 year-old cat was given the same diagnosis well over a year ago!
Bazza’s Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

Diana said...

hi Jean, I am so sorry, I understand completely. We just lost Dusty to lung cancer a month ago our dear dog and my Daisy, my lab has stomach cancer. nothing can be done. I watch her and love her as much as possible .. such love from our dear companions and so I keep you and your kitty in my heart and prayers. Love your work and your beautiful free form of gorgeous painting. take care, love Diana

Jean Haines SWA, SFP said...

Thank you so much Jules, it is so hard hearing news of a loved pet like this

Jean Haines SWA, SFP said...

Hi there Bazza, we all love our pets so much don't we, I am turning this around into at least being lucky enough to know and understand we need to make the most of every day Buster is with us now and give him the best quality of life while he is:)

Jean Haines SWA, SFP said...

Thank you so much Diana, we have fingers crossed the cancer may be slow growing..............he is such a dear fluffy boy and it is such a shame. Thank you so much for leaving a reply and for caring.